OPEN CALL FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
OHRID HI-TECH EXCELLENCE CAMP
Under the auspices of the President of North Macedonia, H.E. Stevo Pendarovski
Application Deadline: 05.05.2022
Macedonia2025 is non-profit, non-political organization dedicated to building strong partnerships and linkages worldwide, and working together towards building a stronger nation. We represent a platform for all Macedonians around the globe to unite and join our efforts in supporting the economic and democratic growth of Macedonia.
Ohrid Hi-Tech Excellence Camp provides an opportunity for youths of Macedonian origin to further their knowledge in coding and robotics. Furthermore, participants will have the opportunity to get in touch with their roots and network with Macedonians from all over the world, in an inspiring environment by the Ohrid Lake.
Macedonia2025 announces an Open Call for Scholarships for the second Ohrid Hi-Tech Excellence Camp, which will take place in Ohrid, North Macedonia, on July 09-16, 2022.
Ohrid High-Tech Excellence Camp combines traditional summer fun with an exclusive opportunity to develop and practice coding and robotics skills with peers from all over the world. Diligence through competitions, a focus on problem-solving, a sense of action, thinking out-of-the-box and collaboration (when working in pairs) will be encouraged, fostered, and achieved in this Camp. Participants will take part in international educational programs such as Young Engineers and FIRST Lego league, implemented in many countries worldwide. This Camp is also an opportunity to establish friendships, strengthen and build on native Macedonian culture, explore local nature and our cultural heritage, and experience Macedonian cuisine and specialties.
- Improve high-tech skills (coding and robotics);
- Promote greater enrollment of youth, and especially young women, from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics);
- Establish connections and networks among young Macedonians living in North Macedonia and young diaspora members, and support cross-cultural exchanges between them;
- Establish and strengthen the connection of young diaspora members with their homeland, developing their sense of giving back to our homeland/community; and
- Interact with some of the top leaders in the country, including the President of North Macedonia and top business leaders from the country.
This weeklong camp will consist of both theoretical and practical sessions that teach medium/advanced coding and robotics skills.
The training sessions will take place in the course of 5 working days (4 hours/day). The rest of the day will be filled in with organized activities, such as cultural events, socialization, field trips to local sights, beaches, sightseeing. Supervisors, lecturers, or volunteer chaperones, will accompany participants at all times.
Participants will be equipped with the following:
- Interdisciplinary skills in STEM using Lego®, by internationally licensed Young Engineers;
- Skills and abilities necessary for the 21st century, such as: Programming languages; Science and Engineering; Problem-, product-, project- based learning; Team work; Core leadership values; Outside of the box thinking; Critical thinking; Creative thinking; Problem solving;
- Skills for a world where people will find themselves competing with robots and computer services;
- Becoming Generations of Global Citizens who realize their power to build a better future with the use of technologies.
The program delivery will focus on modern, highly effective teaching and learning methods. The program curriculum will be delivered by certificated STEM lecturers. Participants will work in groups or in pairs to complete a customized project. Participants will work with exclusively available know-how for innovative learning based on a strategic plan and educational system supported by Harvard Graduate School of Education.
Besides the core activities of the Camp, Macedonia2025 will enrich the Program with:
- A meet and greet with President Pendarovski, a discussion on Democracy and Leadership and an accompanying visit in the presidential villa “Biljana” in Ohrid;
- Motivational discussions with members of the Macedonia2025 Board of Directors, with rich professional experiences and high competences in computer science and engineering, passion for technology and an entrepreneurial mind.
The Cultural Socialization and Networking will be comprised of:
- Orientation and team building activities
- Networking with youths from different countries, engaging in cross-cultural learning experiences, exchanging ideas and building networks for future international cooperation
- Public speaking activities that will enrich communication and increase the presentation skills for participants, as well as their creative and critical thinking
- Improving foreign language competencies (English/Macedonian)
- Cultural activities and programs in partnership with the largest naitonal music and arts festival, “Ohridsko Leto”.
DATE AND LOCATION
Ohrid Hi-Tech Excellence Camp will take place on July 09-16, 2022 in Ohrid, North Macedonia. The venue (a 3+ star hotel facility) will be announced in due time.
Macedonia2025 continues to monitor and follow policy, procedures and safety measures related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The safety and well-being of our community and participants is our top priority. We are collaborating with state, and local agencies to implement best practices aimed at managing the spread Covid-19.
We remain optimistic that the camp and its activities will be realized. However, the situation with Covid-19, domestic Covid-19 safety restrictions, and international travel regulations are beyond our control.
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
The official language of instruction is English. However, we highly encourage the use of the Macedonian language in the communication outside of the classroom.
- Students aged 11-15, who are interested in deepening their knowledge in the fields of coding and robotics
- Macedonian students and those of Macedonian origin from the diaspora
- Adequate knowledge of the English and Macedonian languages is appreciated
- Basic knowledge of Robotics and Coding
Note: Youths from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds will be given priority in the selection process. Gender and ethnic balance will be promoted.
In order to apply, you need to submit a completed application here.
UP TO 16 CANDIDATES WILL BE SELECTED THROUGH THE FOLLOWING SELECTION PROCESS:
- Administrative pre-selection of the applications by Macedonia2025
- Selection of successful candidates by a Selection committee
- The selection committee will have a personal interview with the protentional candidates
- All finally selected candidates will be notified by the beginning of June 2022
Gender, ethnicity and participation from different countries will be taken into account when creating a diversified group of participants
The scholarship fully covers all costs for the Camp.
For the participants coming from overseas, the organizers can cover/co-finance travel expenses up to 700 USD per applicant.
- The President of the Republic of North Macedonia, Stevo Pendarovski – Official Patron of the Camp https://pretsedatel.mk/
- MASIT – The Macedonian Chamber of Commerce for Information and Communication Technologies https://masit.org.mk/en/, represented by their member companies: Brainster https://brainster.co/ and ISourse http://isource.com.mk/
- Young Engineers https://robotics.mk
- Ohridsko Leto – Cultural program partner http://ohridskoleto.com.mk/
THE PROJECT IS IN PART FINANCIALLY SUPPORTED BY:
Certificates for successful completion of the program will be awarded to all participants.
As our beneficiaries, you are invited to be involved in Macedonia2025’s programs and activities in the future.
After program completion, beneficiaries are required to complete a satisfaction survey.
We look forward to receiving your applications!